Okay, ladies, since February is a short month, here's an easy challenge: Burp cloths/bibs. Here's a tutorial on how to do an easy but cute one with a new cloth diaper. I have made tons of these and they are quick and fun. Or you may like to make one of the bean shaped ones to fit on a new mom's shoulder. These are so cute. You may wonder why burp cloths. After all, many of us are not in a position to use these ourselves. Several people have asked me to teach them how to make them. They are easy, but so cute and they make inexpensive fun gifts for a new mom. You can use matching fabric to make a blanket, or to decorate a onesie. As always, if you want more of a challenge, feel free to look around and find your own pattern. Bibs are also acceptable for this challenge. If you would like to take a peek at what creative things people do with burp cloths and bibs, take a look at Etsy.com.
Just a few hints: You can buy cloth diapers at Walmart or Target. Be sure to get the prefolded ones. These diapers are not always perfectly straight, so if the ends of your burp cloth are uneven, don't worry. Be happy! Also, for sewing in general, but especially for this project, using an iron is really helpful. You can keep your lines straighter and the project just goes together more easily. And once again, stretchy fabrics, like fleece, are not a very good choice for these. Flannel is wonderful and comes in so many fun prints. Also, cottons prints turn out really well. Remember, these will be washed a lot. And BYU burp cloths are a fun and manly gift for the new dad! I have found BYU fabric at Hancock fabric and I have also included a link to buy BYU fabric under Sewing Ideas on the top right-hand side of this page.
So, your burb cloths/bibs are due March 1. The prize in the random drawing this month will be a preprinted apron kit--all you need to do is cut and sew. So thread up those machines and let's go!
6 comments:
Yay! I'm SO excited for this one! :)
One of these days I'm going to enter something if I ever get to walking again. All the hot pads were so cute!
Anytime, Alice, although you'll probably have to introduce yourself. I'm not sure all the younger people know you.
Haha--now my google account always logs me in as Alice!
Having a really hard time finding cloth diapers in Lees Summit...checked out both Walmart and Target. ToyRUs is next. Should I give up and order online?
Gosh, Becky, that's kind of surprising. Yes, BabiesRUs might have them, but they may be kind of expensive. I just saw some yesterday at WalMart. Do you want me to send you some?
Post a Comment