Since several people in our family have new sewing machines, and since we can all always use more practice sewing, I am inviting you to participate in the 2011 Sewing Challenge. Here's how it will work:
Periodically, I will invite you to participate in a new challenge. These will start out easy and get harder as the year goes on. I will usually link you to a tutorial, but you need not follow it if you already have a pattern you like, or you want to make up your own. During the allotted time, you sew your item. When it is finished, you post a photo on this blog. There will be NO judging or points. This is merely a motivational idea to help us all become better seamstresses. However, to keep the motivation up, there will be a random drawing among all those who submit a finished project. If you are not interested in participating, no pressure.
So, here we go. The first project is a hotpad. This is a pretty wide category, so feel free to make any kind of thing used for taking hot stuff off the stove or out of the oven. Here is a tutorial I recommend. It does not need to be made out of any specific fabric (you don't need to use the striped ticking they use.) I am going to make some out of Valentine's Day fabric to give to my visiting teachees in February. But you can use any fabric you having sitting around, although I would not recommend anything stretchy. You are allowed to ask for help from others--spouses, BFF's, mothers-in-law, etc. However, you have to do the actual sewing yourself.
The due date for this project is Feb. 1. The prize for the random drawing for this month will be a $10 gift certificate to a fabric store to enable you to purchase fabric for future projects. So pull out those machines, thread 'em up, and let's get sewing!
9 comments:
Awesome! I'm excited!! :)
I'm nervous. No making fun of others' projects.
No one will be making fun of others' projects.
Bring it on! :)
Ditto on the no making fun of others' projects! Rachel Brown isn't doing this challenge, is she?
I hope Sarah asks me for help!
I can't believe you guys think that anyone in this family would make fun of someone else! When has that ever happened, except to me, since I'm the youngest and always get picked on by everyone else.
Laura, you just made it too easy!
Yeah, I know. I do that frequently!
Post a Comment