Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Christmas presents and a car seat poncho

I've tried to make a presents for the kids each year. This year I decided to do pillows. 

For Camille I tried to make a cupcake. I should have used a pattern. It ended up lumpy and wonky, but I think I at least rescued it enough to make it recognizable as a cupcake. 

For Owen I made a basketball pillow. I first used a pattern that I enlarged to make it real ball size, but it was a total failure. Then I just traced the pieces of a basketball and remade the whole pillow, and that worked much better. It still isn't a perfect sphere, but close enough for a pillow.


For Meghan and Russell I sewed bathrobes. I didn't take a picture of Russell's. It was not my best sewing work. Stupid minky. This is Meghan's. It is from a fleece blanket I took from Brian's grandma's house when they (and we a little bit) cleaned it out. It came out much better, and it was free. I used a Burda pattern I got from Hancock when it was going out. The sizing is very generous. These will probably fit those kids for a few years.


Not pictured but definitely not forgotten: Dad's cross stitch thing. I guess I don't need a picture because the image is pretty much seared in my memory after working on it for a year and a half.

Non-Christmas gift
I made Owen a car seat poncho. He doesn't fit in his car seat with his puffy coat on, and he isn't supposed to wear his puffy coat in the car seat anyway. Having an attached garage makes it not so bad to get kids to the car, but we no longer have an attached garage. 

I used another blanket from Brian's grandma for the outer buffalo plaid. It is weird fabric--brushed acrylic, with big fibers, almost like yarn. The fleece lining is a remnant Owen picked. I was going to go for a gender-neutral solid, but he really liked the Mickey Mouse fabric. I gave in hoping he would like the poncho better. It cost twice as much though. :(


I used a pattern from Free Fleece Fun (I think?). It's kind of pointy and I was unsure about one with a split in the front, but I'm glad it has that opening. It's easier to open up to do the buckles in the car and Owen uses the opening to stick his hands out.



3 comments:

Joanna said...

I recently tried a carseat poncho for Meghan and it is a huge fail. I'll have to try again.

I did get pictures of them in their robes.

I should have just sent you Ben's basketball pillow. I hate having it around. Ben would kill me though.....

Joanna said...

I recently tried a carseat poncho for Meghan and it is a huge fail. I'll have to try again.

I did get pictures of them in their robes.

I should have just sent you Ben's basketball pillow. I hate having it around. Ben would kill me though.....

Janet said...

I don't like not having an attached garage with kids. I hate putting the kids coats on and off four times. Plus they get cold because we never warm the car up first. I guess my kids need those ponchos, too. Maybe next winter.