Camille was, and Owen has become a pacifier baby. There are pros and cons to having a baby take a pacifier, but the biggest negative is that there are nights when the baby wakes up every time the pacifier comes out of his or her mouth. I remember one night with Camille where this happened every 15 minutes or less through the entire night. It's no wonder there are warnings about tying a pacifier around a baby's head to keep it in. That much sleep deprivation is horrendous, and the parent is willing to do about anything to get the baby to sleep and get herself some sleep.
There is a product out there called a Wubbanub. It is a little beanie baby with a pacifier at one end. The idea is that since it is weighted, the pacifier won't pop out of the baby's mouth as easily. After a night when Owen had a hard time getting into a deep sleep because of the pacifier, I wanted to do something before it came to one of those awful nights.
I have many beanie babies from my childhood, and we have pacifiers, so I made a Wubbanub. I picked out the mouth seam of a beanie, took out some of the stuffing, shoved in the tab on the pacifier, and sewed 8-10 stitches right through the pacifier tab, attaching it to the beanie.
It works! I chose a beanie that didn't have anything on the face that would get in the way of the baby breathing, and ended up with this one. In retrospect, I should have used one that had legs out to the side that could stabilize it, but the one I chose works.

3 comments:
I always wondered what the purpose of those were. Now I know! I could have used a few of those.
That's pretty spiffy. If this next child takes a pacifier, I'll get one of my beanie babies from Mom and try it out.
That is a smart idea. Remember when I almost dropped big bucks for one for Brooke? I'm glad we didn't because she stopped using pacifiers right after. But I also could have made one, which is cheap.
Post a Comment