Monday, June 23, 2014

A skirt, a Dress, and some Pillows

Mom gave me this fabric over Christmas and told me I could make a ridiculously easy skirt out of it.  I thought that was impossible, because I make the easiest things difficult when it comes to sewing.  
Wrong!
This skirt was one of the the easiest sewing projects I have ever done. All I had to do was fold my knit fabric over, sew it into a tube, sew a line for the elastic up by the fold, then put the elastic in.

 It looks worse than it actually is.  I really like this skirt and have already worn it multiple times.  It looks better on me, because it just hangs right down.

This dress is for Brooke, obviously.  The ruffle fabric makes it look harder than it actually is.  I was nervous I would accidentally sew some random ruffles the wrong direction, but I didn't.  I was so happy I didn't that when I sewed the neck to put the elastic in, I sewed right over the ruffle and it looks funky.  I have yet to rip it out and re-sew it.
 It's long on purpose. I'm going to wait until it fits her (a month or two), then cut it to the length I want.  The nice thing about ruffle fabric is that it doesn't need hemmed; you cut behind a ruffle and the ruffle hangs over the cut fabric.
It's cute.  I am very excited for Brooke to wear it and I hope no one looks too closely at it.  Now I just need a cute headband to go with it.

Finally, Jacob has been getting upset at me because I use the pillows on our couch (Isn't that the point of pillows?  We have this conversation often at our house) and they look all squished now.  He wanted to buy new pillows, but I told him that was ridiculous and I would make him some if he found cheap fabric.  He did.  He picked out this fashionable chevron fabric and I whipped these up in 15 minutes.  He was amazed.  Apparently sewing a square and stuffing it is impressive. 

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Did you use a pattern for Brooke's dress? I need to make a ruffle dress for baby. And, I totally just sewed new pillows for our couch too! Ben didn't have any say in the matter though.

Janet said...

I based it off of this dress that I pinned.

http://www.sewmuchado.com/2012/04/ruffle-fabric-peasant-dress.html

I looked at the tutorial, but was too cheap to buy the pattern, so I got a size 9 month shirt and kind of winged it from there.