I've made two custom-designed nursing covers, and the one I made for Casey, she let me borrow for Camille. It's better than the rectangle with neck loop style because it covers your sides and back. I also used a blanket occasionally, but Camille got pretty good at pulling blankets, so the cover worked better. I wanted to improve on two things from that style nursing cover: I wanted something more discreet than a "Look at me, I'm nursing my baby!" style, and I wanted it to take up less room in the diaper bag. (There is a lot of fabric in the barber cape cover, and it didn't fold/roll neatly.) This fixes both of those problem. And now that I think of it, Casey will probably still be using hers anyway, so I will need one of my own.
The inspiration came from http://www.thecoterieblog.com/2012/05/diy-modern-nursing-shawl-sew-one-line.html, but I changed a few things.
I made it a little longer than the original tutorial, but I wish I would have made it even longer for more love handle coverage. I also cut more fabric off the neckline. I got the jersey knit from Walmart for $2.99/yard, so it wouldn't break the bank to make another one that's longer. I think for $2.99 and 5-10 minutes of my precious time, this was worth it.
2 comments:
I need to sew one of those things.
I sewed one up the other day and Russell thinks it is his cape.
Post a Comment