I've actually been sewing a fair amount lately. Not as much as my overachieving sisters, but a lot for me, mostly simple stuff for the house like super simple curtains and radiator covers. Lauren started asking a number of months ago if we could make a dress for her. I found an easy enough looking pattern in Mom's sewing stuff, so I agreed. A couple months later we finally got some fabric. Lauren lost a fair amount of interest when I got a nice conservative fabric instead of the wild pink flowery one she wanted, but it wasn't cheap, so the dress was definitely getting made. A good couple of months later, when I realized that she really didn't have any winter dresses, I finally buckled down and made it.
It turned out okay. It's a little large, but it should last through next winter too. I knew I wanted a pattern with just a front and back piece, not a bodice and skirt, so it's a little baggy, but she has a sparkly pink belt she can wear with it. Last Sunday she wore a pink sweater and she looked cute.
This was my first time sewing in sleeves. Several of the directions befuddled me at first, but I eventually figured them all out, at least enough to make a decent looking dress if you don't look too closely. The real test will come when I try to wash it. The pattern included a bag, which I have plenty of fabric for, but I don't really feel like sewing anymore. I should probably make it anyway.
Was this a fun project? Not really. I still don't enjoy sewing, but I do like knowing I can make things if I need to.
The end.

3 comments:
It looks good. Be careful washing it so it doesn't shrink too much.
You sound like Marilla not letting Anne have a pretty dress with puffy sleeves.
Lauren seems happy with the dress.
Post a Comment