Saturday, January 11, 2014

Christmas stockings

This was a Christmas present for Ben and Shannon and Co. My goal for some future Christmas is to make/diy all the presents I give. I don't know when that's going to happen since I would have to start in January to get them all done, but someday beware...

These actually weren't too bad to make. I looked at some tutorials on the internet, and then just made them on my own using our stockings as a pattern. The main fabric is all from a set of fat quarters in a line of designer fabric I ordered off Etsy. The cuffs are a mix of fabric I already had and extra fat quarters in the set. They are fully lined (already had that fabric from Mom's destash), and they have low loft batting in between layers. The only exposed seams are where the cuffs are attached, but they are hidden by the fold over cuff. That seemed much easier than trying to sew everything inside out and turn them. I used white ribbon for the hanging loops. I realized after that some of the loops are twisted, but I wasn't going to take them apart to fix that. They aren't perfect, but I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

If you would like a set for your family you can either request them when I have your name for Christmas, or pay me $125. That's the going rate for a set of five matching stockings on Etsy. If I were to ever open my own Etsy shop, I know what I would sell.  That will never happen though because instead of trying to make money, I tend to focus more on trying to not spend money.


My favorite three. Notice the slight puckering on the green one? I should have made the cuffs a tiny bit bigger.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I do want some, but I'm not paying you $125 to make them.

Sarah said...

You can wait until Christmas 2016 if you would rather. And you could even pick your own fabric.

Janet said...

If you focused on both maybe you'd be rich.