Monday, November 5, 2012

Sarah's Ruffle Skirt

Here's a skirt I made from pre-ruffled fabric. It was very easy and quick. The hardest part was finding the fabric at a decent price.

Apparently you have to turn your head to see this the right way.



All I did was measure the widest part around my hips, and use that plus seam allowances as the measurement for the top of the skirt. I cut two slight A line (like maybe an inch or two more than the hip measurement) pieces, and sewed them together making sure the ruffles matched up. Then I sewed wide elastic to fit my waist around the top. No hemming required.

Looking at the top picture, it looks like one side has more of an A line shape than the other side. I don't know whether that is just how I laid the skirt out, or whether one side really is more flared. And I don't really care.

Two teenage girls complimented me on it when I wore it to church. I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or not.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

As long as you put the more a-line shape on the crooked hip, everything should be okay :)

Janet said...

Haha, good point Mom. Very crafty Sarah.

Janet said...

I saw someone wearing the exact same skirt in gray today at church. I bet hers was way more expensive.